- Rod was born and raised in Quincy, Illinois.
- He earned a Bachelor of Science degree in Law Enforcement Administration from Western Illinois University.
- In 1978 he moved to Colorado and began his professional career as a financial crimes investigator in the banking industry.
- In 1989 he received a diploma from the University of Colorado at Boulder Graduate School of Banking.
- Rod held numerous management positions throughout his 17 year banking career specializing in consumer and small business lending.
- After leaving banking, he ran a home-based small business for 9 years prior to running for office.
- He was elected as a County Commissioner in 2004 and served for 12 years in that capacity.
- Rod has been married to his wife Susan for more than 38 years and raised 5 children who graduated from Cherry Creek Schools. They have nine grandchildren.
- He enjoys spending time with his family and reading books on history and politics.
- Rod's greatest passion is his work as a public servant. This is demonstrated by the tireless hours he spends on committee work at the State Capitol. He serves on the prestigious Joint Budget Committee and House Appropriations Committee.